Friday, April 22, 2011

To Be Young

The daily news can frequently be depressing. The death of young people always brings a hurt pain. Life should be precious. Being young should be fun and a great adventure.

Unfortunately for some it is apparently not. I think we all remember those difficult years. What do I look like? Nobody likes me. I have no idea what I am doing. I am not good at - you fill in the blank. I am too short/tall, skinny/fat, ugly/underdeveloped, too slow and on the list goes. I now I am not ready to repeat those years (that makes the assumption I am past them now).

Watch your children. I know that is an obvious statement. Are there sudden swings in emotions without a return? More time alone than previously? Sudden complaints about people, things, events? Children make changes as they develop but you know when a particular change is so out of character. Ask questions. Let your child know you are there regardless.

Bullying is not a new issue. Kids have not been nice to one another for many years. This is not a new social issue. But now it is quicker and possibly more wide spread. The social networks do as much harm as they do good. One crazy remarks gets picked up instantly for everyone to see from this point to forever.

If you have concerns face them directly and quickly. Talk to your faith leader, trusted friend, counselor or school social worker. You know the bounces your child makes on a regular day. One or two twists do not mark a troubled teenager. But watch and listen to your children. There are events we cannot alter regardless of our diligence or continuing love. But we can hug that kid today and remind him/her there are many around who care.

No comments: