The first students entered through this set of wooden doors in 1940. West High School was over crowded and this new small high school was build in the WPA era for those students across the creek. The first graduating class was 1942. The 1940 and 1941 seniors graduated officially from West High School.
The beautiful wood and glass doors gave way to mental black ones. The Laker Spirit continued regardless of the composition of the doors. Originally the building held about 750 students. With several additions and an extra building (originally a junior high) the largest enrollment was 2007 toward the end of the 90s. Currently the enrollment is 1758.
Demand and increased enrollment required a change and construction started in March of 2015. A new three-story addition is placed connecting the two buildings. The new front door will be in the middle of the building (Door 1) and is now opened for use. The entire project is scheduled to be completed August 2016.