Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A modest relapse

Ok, so I don't like the end of the school year.I want to celebrate with the seniors, rejoice with the other students and enjoy the finish of another fantastic year in the lives of our children. It is one series of banquets and numerous special events. I think the band shell concerts are wonderful. There is much to do in May.

But I also think about the seniors and their leaving. I know it is a process and necessary part of growing up. Part of it is that they are comfortable. I know them. I have been with them for four years, watched them grow into leaders and nice young adults. I am spoiled. I worry whether the incoming ones will be okay. They are a lot of work. I know the parents and the questions. I like this bunch.

Part of me is glad to have these four years to share with all the students and families. Another part is thrilled that some of the younger ones will be growing up and learning their places. Another part is scared of starting all over. I like the newness and the challenge. But I miss them and some of their foolish ways. I miss the music and the screams. I want it both ways.

So I stopped blogging. Avoidance is an option. But tomorrow comes and the sun rises again.the juniors will be seniors. The new fresh persons will be wonderful and the cycle of life continues.

The seniors -- class of 2011 -- ran the halls of Southwest today for the last time as students and being a Laker. I wanted to run with them and in front of them. I wanted to protect them and lead them. I wanted them to be safe and happy. But didn't. I stood along the side and waved. I waved good-bye and good luck. I waved because I knew I was watching the leaders of tomorrow taking their rightful place in the scheme of things. I waved because I did all I knew how and now they must move to the next stage, the next grand theater of life. I hope they are prepared. I hope they have the tools for success. I hope they will be happy.

Tomorrow they will not be in school as students of Southwest and I wish them well.

The challenges and the excitement and the opportunities continue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. You see our children from a unique perspective - and at times you see them more than we do. It is greatly comforting to know that you care about them as much as you do. Thank you for being there for them.

Barb Nicol, 10th grade parent