Wednesday, March 21, 2012

One of those life time thrills

Tonight was the Sing-a-long night at Hairspry. A fun event with songs and dances and people on stage and in the audience enjoying sharing and in the spirit of the musical and the arts at Southwest.

There is a small part in the musical of a character as the principal of the kid's high school in 1962. Well, for tonight they let me be the principal. No songs, no dances just two lines and a few seconds in the spotlights. But oh what fun. I can't tell you how exciting that is for me. There are over 100 kids in the show. I wish every student in the school could share in the moments.

But that is why we do so do many and try to find ways for the younger students to get the center stage and the different talents and interest can shine. I can't tell you how much I appreciate and thank them for letting me be a small part in their musical. I understand being supportive and working behind the scenes to attempt to create the opportunities. I understand the role I have chosen and have no regrets. I thoroughly am thrilled in watching them sing and dance and play sports and make paintings and get awards and being outstanding young men and women who I know will contribute to a better tomorrow. I frequently am totally flattered just to be around these fantastic young people daily.

But I have to admit for a moment tonight I was on the boards and in the lights. My heart could not feel prouder or happier. You have wonderful children. You are continuing to make a caring community. Just remember We - and that is everyone of you and all of us -- are Southwest!

1 comment:

Staff #1 said...

Saw the show twice, but unfortunately missed your moment in the spotlight. It was a Spotlight Award winning performance I'm sure.