Saturday, April 6, 2013

After Spring Break

Spring has an official starting date.  Most religions and faiths across the globe have some significant event on, about or after the start of spring.  Poets use spring as the beginning, new opportunities, new possibilities, growth, awakening and love.  Spring is one part of the cycle of life but frequently associated with beginning, the start, new.  And so is the cycle of a school experience.

Monday is the first day of the fourth quarter of this school year.  It is the last quarter and the first.

Five years ago I watched these young people enter the auditorium and swore to myself that there was no hope.  They were too young and immature.  They clinged to their parents way more than necessary.  They were just too small to be ready for high school.  I see that at the same time I stopped that morning to talk with one of them sitting at the locker with iPad and text book.  Routine morning greetings were exchanged and how is it going leads to "I got into ....."  My reply is great!  In my head I rejoice and congratulate the system on another success.  It is wonderful when nice happen to nice people.

Yes, that was one of those who five years ago I figured would take six years to remember his locker combination or how to find his way to 218 from the East gym.  They enter as 9th graders with wide eyes and full of fear, hope, surprise and promise.  Especially boys cannot walk down a hall without punching the boy next to him, running into a locker or stumbling. After spring break that stops, 9th graders have moved into high schools responsibilities,  even the boys.

The years pass too quickly.  I say hello and rush by.  I sit in a classroom and nod to him.  I watched him participate in ......   I shook his hand at some assembly.  I talked to him waiting behind a curtain.  We chatted once about college options and opportunities.  How did you grow up so quickly?

Spring Break.  Winter is full of requirements and applications, and exams, and activities and deadlines.  We take a week off and we get back and out there is the world.  What do I want to be?  What are my parents going to do with my room?  I am leaving all my friends.  I just got here.

On that I agree.  I wish I would have answered your question differently.  I wanted so much to tell you I was proud.  I watched you grow into a young adult and didn't take the time to notice.  Even when I fussed with you I cared and hurt with you.  Maybe you will forget that one. It was only yesterday.  How can it be time to go?

How did it get to be after spring break already?


No comments: