Monday, May 19, 2014

Southwest Class of 1964 - this is 50th Reunion Information

Good afternoon, SW’64 Classmates, and Friends of the Class of 1964,

It was the day after Labor Day, in late summer of 1951 when I was introduced to the concept of school as structured, delivered and mandated by Minneapolis Public Schools, and then only by virtue of where my parents chose to end their vagabond and unsettled ways, which could have been anywhere – but wasn’t. 

On my first day of Kindergarten, my mother and I walked hand-in-hand those six blocks to Audubon School, with her free hand chain-smoking Phillip Morris cigarettes and her hair in rollers, as was the custom among blue-collar women during the 1950s.  When we arrived, she quickly deposited me in front of classroom #101, leaned over to look me in the eye and said, “Jimmie, do you remember how we got here?”  I nodded affirmatively.  “Good.  Now after school just do the reverse, and I’ll see you at home – goodbye!  ??????!!!!!!  And with those terse instructions began a 13-year odyssey and my accumulation of friends, acquaintances and more memories than I can currently retain. 

The next day, and now on my own returning home from morning Kindergarten, I saw two boys standing on the corner of Drew Avenue and Glendale Terrace, directly across the street from the Little Park.  They were the only boys my age I remembered seeing in the neighborhood, so I stopped to awkwardly address them.  “Hi, my name is Jimmie Boyer; what’s your names?”  “I’m Jeff; and I’m Randy.”  They were going to afternoon Kindergarten at Audubon, and as it turned out they became my very first friends, and remain so to this day – 63-years later.  Jeff Peterson and Randy Nelson.

Perhaps you have a story like mine.  I would be surprised if you didn’t.  And, perhaps, you wouldn’t mind sharing yours with us – your first friends and classmates – on July 25th at the Minikada Club, the scene of our milestone 50th year reunion.  Your reunion committee and all attending classmates are looking forward to seeing you again.  Please be there, because we want you there.

Let us know how we can make this happen for you.

From your lifelong friend and classmate forever,

James Boyer, Chair
SW’64 50th Anniversary
Reunion Committee

No comments: