Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Morning Moves Slowly

I try to be out in the halls first thing in the morning. Usually that means I am at door 3 (the main one with the steps) and try to say good morning and hello to those entering students. First, I enjoy meeting the students at the brink of another exciting day of adventure and learning. I am fairly certain they do not see it the same way. In fact with the look in their eyes I am not sure they see anything that early in the morning.

I am standing at the front desk. This past summer I was determined to get into the technology age. I had great fun buying the books and wonderful anticipation of my entry into the world of cyberspace. Well that was humiliating and ego deflating. So I found a kid.

Well, not exactlly a kid. I didn't want to admit to one of our current students that I was techo illiteriate. So I got the name of a graduate. I made the call and scheduled the time.

It was summer and the main office was out in the hall with the area was being cleaned. So, my introduction into this world started standing at the front desk. He was very patient and I asked questioned that would embarass "Blogs for Dummies" (which I did buy and read - actually looked at the pictures which I also did not understand).

After two hours and thousands of questions and millions of kinds words from this very knowing graduate of two years ago who promised to be off to college in the next couple days and had been sworn to secrecy (at least until now) I thought maybe I could venture into the techo world without complete mental breakdown and anquish.

It all started here at the front desk.

So anyway - they enter the front doors and with blinking eyes awake to the blare of educational opportunity. I can tell from their faces that they would just about be anywhere else in the world right at this moment. These are delightful children that exude those looks that a mother would like to forget.

The morning of a school day is a treat to behold and I enjoy every one of them.

No comments: