Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11

It is difficult to not remember this day without saddness and a somber sense of what happened.

We live in a violent world with unhappy people.

There are many reasons for those facts. Some may be self made, some may be false and at its root misunderstanding. Regardless, there are many who have found no other recourse than violence.

I hope we never try to justify violence. There may be desperate times when it calls for desperate measures - I am not all that naive. Harming others should remain a horrible event - regardless of how Hollywood tries to make it romantic.

The evidence is clear that many find their calling in making the divisions bigger and more scary. Some find an excuse or defense hiding behind this cause or that cause. Some slogan or clever wording should never be a reason for harming one another.

I believe education, knowledge and understanding make the difference. I do stupid things when I know no better. I act without reason if I am unreasonable. I am afraid of what I don't know or understand.

I want our school and our educational community to be one of understanding and knowledge. I want our differences to lead us to greater learnings and stronger understandings in a complicated world. I want us to question injustice and illness and harm and suffering.

I want our place to one of peace.

No comments: