Tuesday, November 9, 2010

College Fair Time

The gym was full of colleges from across the states. Wisconsin, Dakotas, Minnesota were all represented with tables and representatives talking with our students in all grades and selling the value of attending that particular institution of higher learning.

It all starts someplace. What is the right question? How do I know if that is a right fit for me? Will I like being in that place? These are the start points for many of our 9th and 10th grade students. We want them to begin that thought process of where, why and then how.

Not only is it important to think about the college I want to attend, but also how do I get in? What are the grade requirements? What particular courses, if any, are required for enrollment? What do I do about tuition costs?

Tonight might be a opportune time to ask if there was something that caught his/her eye? Did one of the colleges have the right color combinations in their mascot? What questions did they ask? Might not get all the answers or even any but sometimes it doesn't hurt to just start the thinking process.

We will have another college fair this year.

No comments: