Wednesday, July 20, 2011

One kayak adventure

I was kayaking across Lake Minnetonka when, in the dead center of the largest part of the lake, my paddle splintered, leaving me to use the very ends of the paddle as crude flippers.

After an hour and a half and several miles of clinging on to four inch scraps of plastic as a way to propel my kayak through rough and indifferent yacht ridden waters, a boat eventually offered help. By this time, I was relatively close to shore and refused his help on the basis that I had worked too hard to not finish the mission.

When I pulled my kayak up on the shore, there were several children who suggested that I use a different kind of paddle since the one I was using didn't seem to work that well and I looked funny using it. I praised them on their acute observations and began my 5 mile walk home.

Dan Ferris
Southwest English Teacher

No comments: