Friday, July 8, 2011

A Walk in The Woods by Bill Bryson

If you are taking AP English next year the required summer reading (as you already know) is the book A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. You are in for a treat. This a funny book with points of wisdom and common sense. Even if you are not in AP this coming year this is a wonderful read.

Quote from author Bill Bryson: “I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.”

My own shopping experiences at REI rang familiar as he was describing his camping gear search. I know how he feels with everyone in the entire store more fit, more knowledgeable and watching your every move. I. Think those stores should hire people like bill and me for entertainment purposes. I know that in the REI employee break room there are still clerks sharing stories about some of my inquiries.

Find time to add this to your summer list. I have to check out other Bryson books. He is a journalist and a wit. If you are a hiker I think you will relate to some of his adventures. If you are an armchair walker you will get a taste of the wild. Reading is better than getting chased by bears.

No comments: