Monday, July 12, 2010

Detective story of sorts

More summer reading and great time to mix it up. Just finished The Camel Club by David Baldacci. According to the write up this is the first of four in the Camel Group group. Baldacci writes about government and spies and Washington DC. I suppose I was influenced by the recent news storied of Russian spies in our neighborhoods and then the trade. Reminded me of my youth. Haven't seen that kind of drama since the Wall went down.

Murder and mayhem are not my favorites. But once is a while need to take the jump and see what's selling in the market place. The basic story is about kidnapping the President. The subplots are about getting old and remembering past lives with secrets and mystery. The story moves along with good descriptions of DC landmarks. Being a commercial best seller I was surprised at the lack of strings of profanity and human lust. A couple romantic interests but private and off stage.

The book made use of the current Middle Eastern stereotypes and tried to point out why these were not true or at least the history of their origins. This is not the book to read to learn the inter workings of democracy but was an interesting Secret Services book. It was a decent summer read and would suggest wandering through his list of 17 books for something of fun and interest.

What are some the titles you have enjoyed this summer?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your great blogs about the books on the summer reading lists! You are a voracious reader and a true supporter for those kids.

In addition to reading the first two of Stieg Larsson's books (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Girl who Played with Fire - both gripping, albeit sometimes tough to read, stories), I read "After River," by Donna Milner. A wonderful story about a family in Canada that I couldn't put down due to the fabulous writing.

Barb Nicol
Parent of incoming 10th grader

Bill Smith, SWHS said...

I got through the first two Dragon books also. I enjoyed the first one and the second got a bit much so I did not go for three. I will check out After River. Thanks