Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Superintendent Johnson Resigns

Minneapolis Puboic Schools
1250 West Broadway Ave.
Minneapolis, MN 55411
December 16, 2014

Dear MPS families,

 During my time as superintendent of Minneapolis Public Schools, I have seen students achieve in many ways. I want to thank you, our families, for your support as I have led MPS over these past four years.

After much reflection, I have decided to resign from MPS at the end of January 2015. Our current Chief Executive Officer, Michael Goar, will serve as interim superintendent, and I have great confidence in his leadership. I believe this decision is in the best interest of students, MPS families, staff and our entire community.

In order for MPS and our schools to continue making progress, they need a leader with a level of intensity and focus which I am unable to give at this time. My commitments to family – specifically the care of elderly grandparents – are increasingly in competition with the extraordinary demands of this position. Without question, the work of educating our children must move forward, and at this time, I must put my family first.

I strongly believe in the vision of MPS to prepare all students for college and career and am confident that our great teachers, leaders and staff members will continue this important work in our schools.

Leading MPS and serving the students and families of Minneapolis has been an honor. I wish our students all the best as they prepare for the endless possibilities that await them. Thank you for your support and partnership.

Sincerely,
Dr. Bernadeia H. Johnson
Superintendent

No comments: