Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Another Modest Proposal

I can feel the ACT scores rising as we anticipate the new snow fall announced for this evening. According to Governor Dayton, the new law will "help boost student achievement in Minnesota" and a couple sentences later in the headlines on the editorial page of this morning's paper he continued, "to do what's right for children."

My first reactions were thoughts of celebrations and jubilation. Then I realized this was the announcement of the legislature's passage and Governor's signing of the Alternative License bill. In debate, we would have called this the case of building "straw men."

Pot Holes are a major problem here in the city right now. I do believe on my way to work I passed one Pot Hole with a VW at the bottom. Pot Holes are terrible. They are in all the streets throughout the city. They are dangerous and a real threat to the well being of your vehicle.

But I believe I have a solution. In the State of Minnesota one needs a special endorsement on his/her license to drive a truck that could haul patch that might deliver such patch to some of the more serious Pot Holes. And if one wanted to, a person with such endorement might fill in the holes. In keeping with our state's current logic, I propose that we change the restrictions on driving licence endorsements and that will fix all of the Pot Holes.

Think about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An interesting analogy for that piece of legislative fluff.