Saturday, October 29, 2016

Sometimes We Have to Ask Why?

These are strange times.  But, when is there not strange times?  I do not claim to have all the facts nor claim to understand everything that is happening or the various claimed ramifications of these events.


photo copied from Urban Cusp FaceBook site

However, I do get a sense of what are the obvious perceptions or feelings as we watch events unfold.

I work with teenagers and have for the vast majority of my life.  They see, hear, feel and try to understand the world and their place in it.  They question identities and roles.  Teens press against the "standards" and rules of that older generation.  It doesn't matter if it is their parents, their religion, customs, authority in general or just because.  That is what teens have been doing for thousands of years.  Maybe, that is their job.

This is current events.  This is today's news.  This is our reality and what is happening in our country now.  Sometimes we have to questions, why?

Black Lives Matter.  Pipe Line Protest.  Enough is Enough!  
Presidential Debates. Political TV Ads.

I ask myself -- 
If I was sixteen what would I think?  
What would I do?  
Where would I direct my anger and confusion?

I believe strongly in the Rule of Law.  I respect and honor the concept of trial by jury.  I have read and reread the Constitution.  I will abide by the decision of the courts, the people and the election.

I know I do not have all the information, facts and data.  I watch the news, read the newspaper and try to be an informed citizen.  Sometimes I have to ask, WHY?

No comments: