Saturday, February 5, 2011

Alternative Licensing - A Modest Proposal

I was thrilled to read that our legislators are making alternative licensing a top priority for this legislative season. I am glad they are going right to the heart of the problems in student achievement.

I assume this is a Minnesota trend. Since I am a mid-career professional I thought I would explore my options. I like and care of the quality of life in people and our communities. Maybe I can secure an alternative license in medicine. The average starting salary for a first year physician is $158,000. I think that is attractive.

But getting into medicine as a doctor might take a full three months under the alternative licensing bill so how about a registered nurse. The average starting salary is $38,775. That I think I should be able to do quicker and get right inside the emergency room within days.

But I do not want to stop at my first glance. How about an accountant. How tough can that be? I am good at numbers and can work a computer. The average starting salary for an accountant is $44,564 but I think I did better in math so I want to be a CPA and the average starting salary is $51,500.

According to article in the paper there are tons of people out there wanting to "interject a new spirit into K-12 education." I know there must be numerous doctors and CPA and business people waiting to jump at the chance to start right in the classroom with the average starting salary of a teacher being $29,733.

All of these salaries are based on the government report of national average of first year persons in those professions for 2010. They will be different based on part of the country and demand at the particular time.

I really enjoy my job at Southwest. Maybe I could get a alternative license to do medicine part time and be in the emergency rooms for some retirement fund money for half time at $79,000. Make sure the next time you are taken to the hospital emergency room to say hi.

No, I do not believe for a minute that in 90 days I can serve your needs for medicine. Yes, I would like to make that kind of money. I respect the work of our nurses, doctors, CPAs and other professionals more than to insult them by thinking some alternative license is going to being into their profession more "dedicated" people.

I believe the current persons entering the education professional are dedicated, caring and highly spirited people who made the life commitment in spite of the money. For anyone to believe that alternative licensing (which is possible already) is going to solve the issues of student academic proficiency, well they should read more Jonathan Swift.

No comments: