Tuesday, February 1, 2011

But I just want to be Mom

Tiger Mom or Helicopter Mom -- are those the only two choices?

I suppose it all started in the sixties --our distrust of the system. Today's social climate does nothing to regain the faith and trust and we perhaps even feel more out of control. So when it comes to our kids -- heaven help those in between.

Since we can't control our employment or seemingly our government or who we are at war with or health care costs, I guess I will yell at.....

I guess for the Tiger Moms that it is their own children. I now it is for their own good and in this competitive world one has to be tough and better than most and so on.

On the bother hand, my kids are too young to fend for themselves so I have to hover and Control every part of their lives and yell at whomever might start to ruin my day -- no I meant my children's day.

There has to be something in the middle. In the past years we have made much progress. We have shorter work weeks, less farm and industrial accidents and longer, less painful lives. I don't think anyone is really to return to the days of olde.... But when did we stop letting kids be kids? When did we decide that every part of their World had to be a reflection of mine? What about self-direction, and self-motivation and consequences for inappropriate actions?

The biggest new challenges for colleges and the work place are parents. College professors have more phone calls and excuses from parents then they can remember -- and there are privacy issues since the kids are over 18. Employers now have to remind young employees that during their employment application or review Parents are not allowed.

We love our children. There really should be a better way than just being a tiger or helicopter.

No comments: