Saturday, February 12, 2011

Where is the soul of our society?

Education is simply the soul of a society as it passes from one generation to another. Gilbert K. Chesterton

I sit with kids almost daily. I hear their joys, fears, frustrations, wonderful deeds and sometimes misdeeds. Not once have I discovered an easy answer. They come to Southwest with dreams and ambitions. For some that is doctor, lawyer, politician and for some that is NBA or NHL stardom. Not one of them has ever told me "I want to be a loser." or "I want to be a burden on society."

I wish one of those simple statement folks who all too frequently are quoted in newspapers took the time to talk to a child. Maybe instead of one more biased state test we would be thinking about missed opportunities and complicated long-term solutions.

The young man was 16 going nowhere. He has been in five schools as part of his young experiences. He asked for none of those changes or transplants. His childhood memories are not nursery school or pretty gardens around the corner. He is in school daily and failing everything. I try to hear but the cries are too deep.

She is 14 and very afraid. Someone might find out she does not know that answer. A belligerent stare is more frequent that that pleasant smile. Trying to make up for five missed years is not going to be accomplished by larger classrooms. I try to listen but her anger from fear and frustration that she does not deserve to feel is louder than polite verbal exchanges.

If we are to survive it will be because we were successful in teaching our best qualities of our generation to the next. If our children are to save us it will be because they learn the best qualities.

That has been true since the beginning.

Quick sound bites and cute little funny sayings make the TV and newspapers. These blasts of foolishness and bigotry and self-righteousness do not deal with angers, frustrations and fears of a great many children. These speakers of glib reactions need to be called out and challenged.

I ask them to come over and sit on the bench with me any day.

No comments: